Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Magical Costume Critique

This week I visited my childhood and suddenly found myself on Netflix watching The Magic School Bus.

Yes. I watched The Magic School Bus. It's educational okay. Very educational.

There are two main costuming "points" I want to bring up about The Magic School Bus. Although  many of the children wear the same thing everyday, in typical cartoon fashion, Miss Frizzle always wears an outrageous dress or outfit that pertains to what they will be learning that day. She projects both her personality and her dedication to  the subject and learning with this display.  I. Have always been so jealous of Miss Frizzles outfits. They're crazy and beautiful and fun. I love them! Something else  important to note is the  grouping between cousins not only in  physical look, but also in their  clothing choices as well. Arnold and  his cousin both make similar clothing choices which bind them together as relatives.  This is a common technique in costuming. To use similar outfit choices to make people assume relationships. 

Well. That's all for today. As Miss Frizzle says " Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!"

Until next  time,

-Taimi

1 comment:

  1. "According to my research . . ."
    Yes! Even in animation costumes serve a key role in developing the audience perception of relationships.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Comment here