Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Costume Critique: Mormon Tabernacle Choir

For this week's Costume Critique, I decided to take a break from watching Keira Knightley's films and watch instead one of the major events in the Mormon community which is... surprise! surprise! The 184th General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And what better "costume" is there to review on than what the Mormon Tabernacle choir wore? That's right, there is none! So, for this entry, I'll be critiquing the Sunday afternoon session "costume" of the MormonTab.


Starting with the men's "costume", they wore black suits that are appropriate for the event. Although I am not a fan of the fit of their suits, it does not really matter because they were not trying to look fashionable. They were aiming, however, to look dignified and respectable, which they clearly achieved. In terms of their neck ties, I am sure that they could have chosen a better one. The colour definitely stands out, but it would have been lovelier is they chose to match the colour of the women's dresses. Also, the print of the neck ties are very old-fashioned.


The women's "costume" were amazing, I liked how the dresses looked "flowy" (I just realized that flowy is not a real word, but I couldn't think of a better word right now) and appeared to be light and elegant. The colour is also stunning. Blue symbolizes peace, rest and comfort—words that perfectly describe the feeling one can have while listening to the choir sing.

The necklaces were simple, yet appealing. I also realized that they have matching glass earrings which I find very beautiful. Clearly, the women's "costumes" were well-thought of and designed.


I think it is also note-worthy to mention what the choir conductor wore. Similar to the men in the choir, he also wore a black suit. His neck tie, however, looked better because it matched the colour of the women's dresses. He could have chosen a slimmer neck tie, though. But all in all, he looked good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Comment here