This weekend I watched Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. I pretty much grew up on these movies, could probably recite every word of the first three, and frequently make references in daily conversation quoting them. Oh, and if you've read my Legolas Costume Critique, you know I might have a small thing for Orlando Bloom...might.The costume designer for the Pirates of the Caribbean movies is Penny Rose. Here's a cool quote from an interview with her, "For young professionals and students of Costume Design, Rose advises the importance of a lifetime commitment to studying one’s craft, as well as recognizing and valuing the multi-faceted nature of the job."
This video is for Keith Richard's costume, but I thought it was so interesting! I'd love to be those ladies! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_RAuDY-RC8
Orlando Bloom plays Will Turner, a blacksmith-turned-pirate looking to free his father from the crew of Davey Jones. For the third installment of the series, Will trades his white, flowy pirate shirt and detailed vest for darker colors. He still wears a jacket with many buttons, a belt around his waist, and another belt around his chest with a large buckle. He also keeps his shirt opened, and wears the same necklace. While these pieces are similar or even the same from previous movies, they are made of different fabrics and less detailed than before. For this movie he wears a burgundy shirt, and occasional leather vest,
high boots with the tops rolled down, and sports a new earring? He wears less pieces of clothing than before and seems like he has officially settled into his new life as a pirate. The choice of darker fabrics makes him seem less of the good-guy-blacksmith he once was, and more of a swashbuckler. And who doesn't love the new addition of a bandana after he shows back up as the new captain of The Flying Dutchman???? Penny Rose, I totally approve.____________________________________________________________________



No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think? Comment here