Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Costume Critique: Queen Amidala

Queen Amidala  was the queen of the Galactic Empire in the STARWARS series. She wears a lot of red as it is a symbol of power. In the (future) time era that she is in people wear a lot of billowy things. Jedi wear hooded capes with big log sleeves and royals all wear dress like things that typically have big open long sleeves. I think things that are billowy make you appear bigger, more powerful, and sometimes more in control. The styles reminds a lot of that of the Romans. Down the middle of her dress hangs a red and gold sash made with intricate and fancy designs- very much to show her high position. Her head piece is made of gold and really gives her that futuristic/outer-spacy vibe. The gold also serves the purpose of showing her wealth and high authoritative position. The Queen's insane hairdos always still look perfectly put in place and neat to help convey that she is on top of things and an orderly, in control women. Her face paint however, is one thing that I just have never fully understood. The only thing I can come up with is that it seperates her from others (commoners) and it would help to hide her identity if ever needed (which in the movies I guess it is proven to be the case). Her makeup also does give her a more serious look which is something a young woman in such a high position would need in order to be taken seriously by the council which consisted of older males of varying species. All in all, I'd say its a good costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Comment here