Weekly Costume Critiques, Lab Journals, and general ramblings of the BYUH THEA 141 class: Costume Design and Construction.
Monday, September 22, 2014
Playing Dress-Up: Lab Journal
This week I had to split my lab hours apart in order to get them both in. The first lab hour I spent Practicing and playing around with the sewing machine and the serger. While working on the sewing machine, I learned that there is a reason we sew material and not paper. Paper is so much harder. It would get kinda stuck when I tried to turn it and occasionally tare instead of gliding easily through. The serger was a bit more fun than I expected it to be. I felt quite accomplished when I successfully changed the threads. However, I ran into a little trouble when I tried to actually serge a piece of material. I'm not sure what was wrong with it, all the threads were coming out right where they were supposed to be, but for some reason none of the threads would hold on to the material. It was weird. Ingrid didn't really know what was wrong with it either, so I put a note on it and went on to look at the other serger to see how to rethread that one. After that I had to leave for a bit to go to a couple classes. The second lab hour I spent measuring the two girls who did come for their fittings and pulling outfits for them. It was fun- like looking for costumes for Halloween and shopping combined. :) Everyone there was super enthusiastic about it and together we came up with multiple costumes tat I think will work very well for this play. It also helped a ton that Kim could pull off almost everything we put her in. It was a lot of fun and really helped to get me excited for this play!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think? Comment here