For my lab hours this week I was able to get more familiar with the sewing machine and serger. I practiced sewing by following dotted lines on paper. The straight lines and boxes weren't hard for me, but I did have trouble sewing spiral shapes. I wasn't able to turn the paper fast enough to get close curves, but after my lab I personally think paper is harder to control in a sewing machine than fabric; it's very slippery! I also learned how to properly thread the sewing machines in the Costume Shop as well as how to load a bobbin. I'm very well acquainted with my Mom's ancient Kenmore sewing machine complete with the most difficult way to add a bobbin (you have to drop it in from the top through this small opening all while not being able to see where to push it in). It was nice to learn a different machine, but I do think I'll always be partial to using my mom's machine, in the floor, without shoes on (you should try it, so much more comfortable).

After practicing with the sewing machine, I was able to successfully change the thread on the serger! The second time I tried, one of the threads got caught so I had to re-thread the first needle. I think my knot may have not been tight enough. But I did it! ...four times ^-^
One of the plays we will be working on this semester is titled "One Tattered Angel". It is based off of the book written by Blaine Yorgason; the play was adapted by Dr. Craig Ferre of BYU-Hawaii. The actor for Steve Yorgason came by during my lab, so I took his measurements with Ingrid's help and we went to the costume closet to find him some clothes. We tried to pull a lot of 80's/90's button up shirts, sweaters, and vests. He decided he'd bring a pair of his own blue jeans to try for next time.
____________________________________________________________________
Hooray! You are the winner for the first completed Lab Journal entry! Thanks for including a pic and WOW even a vid clip. Glad to have you this semester even though you'd prefer your mom's old Kenmore :-)
ReplyDelete