Saturday, December 13, 2014

The Final Final Project's Final Post. Finally.

It’s done! Yay!
On Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. I was not quite sure that I would be able to write that sentence at all.


But I can! Because I finished it!


Well, now that I’m writing this in the future, and looking back on the project, there are some things that I was proud of, and somethings that I would rather, um, not have my name on.
Lets begin with the things I was cool with. The things I would have been proud to show my mother.
I was proud of the basic construction of the corset body. I took my time on it, the sewing was neat and tidy, and the lining was matched up and nice and pressed and everything. I thought that the floral lining was a cool addition, and next time I will just make it more easily accessible to be reversible so that more people can enjoy it, not just the person wearing it. I liked the tie area in the back, corsets always look pretty awesome in that way. I liked the ribbon roses (Thanks Ingrid!), but wish I would have had more time to make them bedazzled in the way I wanted.
Now for the improvement things. I find it okay to talk about lots of things I need to work on because It was the first “real” thing I had sewed and I learned a lot of cool things about sewing.
The first thing I did not like were the “sleeves”. They were a last minute, off the pattern addition, and I did not like the shape of them at all. The shape was rather unflattering and awkwardly cut in supplement to the corset body. I also learnt that strips of fabric are way more difficult to position and attach than one would believe. The strips gave me a lot of trouble, in way of placement and in the way that they would pucker awkwardly in the corners and top. Next time I will skip the addition of the sleeves and simply find a pattern with a sleeve built in, or make a more fitted sleeve in lieu of the two rectangles I placed on top.
I will plan out my strips more carefully so that they have a smooth attachment to the bodice, and look nice and clean. I would add more strips.
I wouldn’t wash that fabric again. See post 2 for the post about the mess.
I would bedazzle more. Why not?
I would take more time, and start earlier. It’s always nice to take your time.
I would lengthen the corset. I realized that I have a realllly long torso. It’s more comfortable to have a longer corset.






All in all, I was happy to get something out there, and was happy to simply learn some new things about sewing. I’m ready to do it again! (Just not too soon okay Sister Dooley. Give me a couple days.)


Until Next Time,

Taimi K.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Comment here