This time, I’m slightly less vaguely optimistic.
Less on the optimistic. More on the vaguely.
Sewing takes time.
I have a little bit of trouble with patience.
Which is why in the past, I've had a lot of bad luck in the with sewing. I simply do not have the patience to wait to sew a straight line. So this time I was determined to not quickly stitch something together that lasted for five seconds and looked terrible. This time I was going to be careful and take my time.
I first found a pattern I wanted to use. After choosing the pattern and puzzling over the directions for awhile I found the appropriate pieces. I cut a version out of paper, just to make sure the fit was right as the pattern didn't have my size on the pattern, and I wanted to make sure the size I cut out fit.
After than I made a copy out of muslin. I actually sewed and cut it out, and I was happy with the fit. I started attaching strips of fabric, and learned that strips are actually very difficult to position. If you were wondering. Especially on a corset where things can move around if given the chance. I struggled with that for a while.
I then learned to be content with my muslin copy, as I was running out of time, and tried to decide upon a fabric for the actual corset. I found a velvety feeling cotton twill. It was really dirty. So I washed it. Note to future self: DO NOT WASH THAT KIND OF MATERIAL. IT WILL PILL AND LEAVE A MESS IN THE DRYER AND WASHER AND LOSE IT’S TEXTURE AND THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO CLEAN OUT THE WASHER AND DRYER WITH A PAPER TOWEL. NOT FUN. Good. Now that’s over with. I choose a floral pattern for the inside because I wanted it to be vulnerable and girly on the inside of the piece. It is coming along. I sewed the black pieces of the corset together and the floral pieces and the lining is actually my favorite part. It looks really nice on the inside. (Of course it looks nice on the inside!) I added some thicker sleeves, which I hate. But the other ones were not very modest. I added a neck strap. So that’s fun. We will see!
Until Next Time,
Taimi Kennerley.
No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think? Comment here